1. After an intense competition in front of a live audience at Caesars Palace, Culinary Battles®: Supreme Asian Chef named its 2014 winner, Chef Perry Cheung. Chef Cheung rose to the top competing against great culinary talents that included Jay Cho, David Park and Chris Oh.
2. Each chef had advanced from regional competitions sponsored by Caesars Entertainment in Los Angeles and at Caesars Atlantic City. Perry Cheung, chef and owner of Phorage, a critically-acclaimed Vietnamese restaurant in Los Angeles, won with a dish that he described as, “soy braised lemongrass pork belly with braised red cabbage.”
3. “Caesars Palace has been honored to host the 2014 Culinary Battles® finale and to award the winning title to Chef Cheung,” said Caesars Palace President Gary Selesner. “It is wonderful to be able to showcase the richness of Asian culture and cuisine in such a unique way.”
4. As part of his award for being named Culinary Battles’ Supreme Asian Chef, Cheung’s dish will be featured as an upcoming menu item at Caesars Palaces’ famed Bacchanal Buffet.
5. Cheung also won VIP accommodations including a three night stay at Caesars Palace, spa treatments at Qua Baths & Spa, a Tappanyaki Dinner for two at Nobu, and two tickets to any Colosseum show.
6. “This competition was one of a kind and a great experience,” stated Chef Cheung. “It gave us the opportunity to truly showcase the depths of Asian cuisine and culture in front of the press and a live audience.”
7. The title of Culinary Battles®: Supreme Asian Chef was decided by a panel of judges including: Serious Eats contributor Damon Gambuto, Hell’s Kitchen contestant Barbie Marshall, Masterchef and author Joseph Poon, Top Chef: New Orleans finalist Shirley Chung, and Caesars Palace Executive Chef Sean O’Connell.
8. “Perry’s passion for his cuisine and culinary techniques helped him win the competition,” stated Chef Shirley Chung. “His ability to create a strong fusion of flavors made a great impact on the judging.”
9. Culinary Battles® was created in partnership with Caesars Entertainment to raise awareness of Asian culture and give back to the community through an innovative recognition program.
10. Culinary Battles® seeks chefs that demonstrate a unique approach to traditional Asian dishes and most importantly, capture the richness and diversity of Asian culture and cuisine.
11. For more information on Culinary Battles®, please visit www.culinarybattles.com or follow the
12. ongoing conversation on Twitter: @CulinaryBattles.
Caesars Entertainment Corporation
Caesars Entertainment Corporation is the world’s most diversified casino-entertainment company. Since its beginning in Reno, Nevada, more than 75 years ago, Caesars has grown through development of new resorts, expansions and acquisitions and now operates casinos on four continents. The company’s resorts operate primarily under the Caesars®, Harrah’s® and Horseshoe® brand names. Caesars also owns the London Clubs International family of casinos.
Caesars is focused on building loyalty and value with its guests through a unique combination of great service, excellent products, unsurpassed distribution, operational excellence and technology leadership. We are committed to environmental sustainability and energy conservation and recognize the importance of being a responsible steward of the environment. For more information, please visit www.caesars.com