ST. MORITZ – Barely 12 years old and already general manager of one of the world’s most renowned traditional hotels: for the 2014/15 winter season Badrutt’s Palace Hotel introduces the position of a Junior GM, aimed exclusively at ambitious 5 to 12 year old ‘managers’. The chosen candidate will work alongside Hans Wiedemann, examining the hotel’s offering for children, contributing suggestions for improvements and above all, representing the interests of the youngest guests – after all, there are many families among the 70 percent of repeat guests who have stayed at St. Moritz’s legendary grand hotel for three or four generations.
1. This will be the dawning of a new era for the 520 members of staff when the junior general manager, who is probably no more than 4 feet (1.5m) tall, whirls through Badrutt’s Palace Hotel in December 2014.
Such a young Junior GM will be a novelty even for resident manager Angelo Martinelli – the man who just celebrated 50 years of service in the hotel, and who no longer considers such special requests as an elephant in the lobby, sea lions at a pool party or an exclusive pop concert in a guest room, to be anything out of the ordinary.
2. The planned event for VIKs (very important kid) will take place on January 10, 2015, when the chosen Junior GM will invite children aged 12 and under to the Kids’ Pyjama Party in King’s Club, Switzerland’s oldest nightclub.
The bouncers will only admit VIKs who adhere to the strict dress code (pyjamas only!) and who are not afraid of a fun-packed evening and a very long pillow fight.
The young advisor’s visits will be a new experience for Hans Wiedemann, managing director & delegate of the board, with points on the agenda such as check-in for kids, guests’ feedback to the Kids Concierge and the Junior GM Palace Game.
“We are known the world over for glitz and glamour. However, we want to show how even our smallest guests feel on top of the world in Badrutt’s Palace Hotel – and that is precisely where the Junior GM will help,” says Wiedemann, adding with a laugh, “I wonder how many quality control tastings there will be of our Palace chocolate towers? This position is definitely all about fun…we’d better not forget to bring the Palace cuddly toy, a kids’ cocktail and plenty of sweets from the Palace Patisserie to the meetings with my little partner”.
3. Applications for the position of junior general manager are open from September 24, 2014 to all boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 12, who speak German, English or Italian.
In order to be considered, candidates need to download the questionnaire from the hotel’s website and complete the questions with their parents, as well as creating a short video (2 min max) about themselves, their hobbies and their family – all to be sent to the Junior GM Office by November 17, 2014. In terms of ‘salary’ the successful candidate can expect not only a Junior GM business outfit, travel and room costs, and half board for themselves, their parents and two siblings on both visits during the winter season 2014/15, but also an additional week of relaxation for their family during the summer season 2015 (seven nights’ stay including travel costs and half board) plus many exciting activities and surprises.
4. The final candidate will be chosen by a jury of hotel experts* and will be officially presented to the press with hotel director Hans Wiedemann on December 12, 2014 during their first tour of the hotel.
*Jury members from Badrutt’s Palace Hotel are Hans Wiedemann (managing director & delegate of the board), Yves Gardiol (general manager) and Anna Nücken (PR manager); and external members are Allegra Gucci (mother and socialite), Hans Amrein (editor Hotelier) and Karl Wild (journalist, author and hotel tester for the Swiss hotel ranking published for the SonntagsZeitung).
- Period of application from September 24 to November 17, 2014
- For more information, application forms and trailer go to www.badruttspalace.com/
- Press conference (followed by a tour of the hotel with the Junior GM and Hans Wiedemann) on December 12, 2014
- Junior GM weekend with journalists and their kids from December 12 to 14, 2014
- Kids’ Pyjama Party in King’s Club on January 10, 2015 from 5.30-9.30pm (registration via Email to [email protected])
- Junior GM video: http://www.badruttspalace.com/
Badrutt’s Palace Hotel is a celebration of style, sports, cuisine and fashion, with discreet service and traditional elegance evoking an atmosphere of pampered luxury for all. An ideal destination in both winter and summer, the hotel is located in one of the most challenging ski areas in the world and offers a host of summer alpine activities. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel boasts 157 guestrooms and 37 suites with stunning views of the Swiss Alps. The hotel is a member of Leading Hotels of the World, Swiss Deluxe Hotels and Swiss Historic Hotels. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel opens its doors to guests this winter from December 6, 2014 to April 5, 2015.