Holiday getaways on the beautiful island of Malta have increased dramatically in recent years. Property owners are waking up to the many benefits of advertising their luxury villas online to attract a discerning clientele. There are numerous luxury villas for rent, owned by Maltese and foreigners alike, so selecting the right property can sometimes be tricky.
In this guide, we will take you through the process of finding a luxury villa for your next holiday in the sun.
There are dozens of luxury destinations, from the Maldives and the British Virgin Islands to Phuket and Cape Cod. However, Malta is more than a few glorious beaches and resort hotels — it’s the full package.
Malta offers centuries of fascinating history, gorgeous weather, amazing unspoiled beaches, friendly locals, and great nightlife. It’s also very accessible if you live in Europe. Not surprisingly, the number of visitors to Malta is increasing each year, with 1.75 million tourists visiting the island in 2016.
There are plenty of lovely hotels in Malta, but if you want a truly luxurious holiday, a luxury villa is your best choice. Villa styles vary from traditional townhouses in the island’s capital, Valetta, to more modern villas in popular resorts such as Mellieha, which boasts the island’s largest sandy beach. Some villas are built with a more contemporary style while others have been converted from centuries-old farmhouse dwellings with thick limestone walls.
Location, Location, Location
Malta is not a huge island and you can easily drive the length and breadth of it in an hour or so. However, if you want to be close to a beach or the nightlife, it is sensible to select a villa in the right location. This will save you from spending too much time driving or catching a local bus. Instead, you can walk everywhere.
- Valetta is packed full of history and culture, but there are no beaches here. Nevertheless, if you want to learn more about Malta’s history, look for a villa within traveling distance of Malta’s capital.
- Sliema is close to Valetta. The center of Sliema is fairly quiet and the beaches are rocky, but it has plenty of local restaurants and bars.
- Mellieha is on the northern tip of the island. The beautiful beach is the main attraction, but there are some decent bars and a few restaurants. This is a nice spot if you have children.
- St Julian’s is ideal for the younger crowd. There are lots of nightclubs and bars, a beach at St George’s Bay, and plenty of excellent restaurants.
- St Paul’s Bay, Bugibba, and Qawra are on the northern end of the island. The fortress town of Mdina is nearby and there are some nice beaches in this part of the island. You can also catch the ferry to Gozo from here.
For the ultimate in quiet luxury, Gozo is a top pick. It’s more rural than the main island, there are some amazing beaches, and beautiful luxury villas if you are desperate for a proper break from everyday life.
Choosing the Right Villa
Make a list of everything you need, from a pool (recommended) to the number of bedrooms and most desirable location. Look online for the best prices, but be careful about not falling for internet scammers. It’s always better to book a luxury villa through a reputable booking site rather than direct with the owner. Otherwise, you could end up transferring a significant amount of cash to a fraudster and be left with no accommodation when you arrive on the island.
There are some stunning luxury villas on Malta. Many are called “farmhouses” rather than villas, which reflects their origins. If you want a peaceful holiday, look for a traditional farmhouse luxury villa conversion with a pool in a sleepy village. You can hire a car and explore the island or relax for a week and soak up the sun. Bliss!
For more information about Villa rentals in Malta visit Maltasothebysrealty.com
Featured image courtesy of Matla.