Carole Bayer Sager is undoubtedly an icon. The singer/songwriter has collaborated with people like Bob Dylan, Carole King and Carly Simon. Then she’s written songs recorded by famed musicians like Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra and Aretha Franklin…to name a very few. What many don’t know, is that Bayer Sager is also a revered painter, (she currently has a show at William Turner Gallery in Santa Monica, up through November 8th) not to mention an active collector.(Carole Bayer Sager; image courtesy Alex Berliner)
Case in point: She was responsible for acquiring Barbara Kruger’s seminal work, Untitled: (Shafted), commissioned by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art where she is a Trustee, for the opening of the Broad Contemporary Art Museum there. (Ms. Kruger will be honored, along with Quentin Tarantino this weekend at the museum’s annual Art + Film Gala). Ms. Bayer-Sager has dedicated her entire being to a life filled with creativity. So without further ado, here are her Top Five.
1. I love entertaining at my home here in Bel Air. The old adage, “There’s no place like home” is one I totally ascribe to. Wherever we travel, I am always happy to return to our home in Los Angeles. One of my favorite things to do is throw holiday parties with good friends and great food, where some of my friends are often kind enough to sing a few songs as well.
2. I was born in NYC and for a number of years, my husband Bob Daly and I had an apartment. The closest thing to that, is a stay at the Carlyle Hotel. New York is always an energy boost, and I enjoy seeing good friends on the East Coast as well as my routine trip to Bergdorf’s as well as my friend Donna Karan’s Urban Zen for casual unique clothing.
3. My favorite city in Europe is undoubtedly Paris! When I’m in town, I love to stay in either the Eiffel Tower Suite at the Plaza Athenee or the Coco Chanel Suite at The Ritz. Both hotel suites are heavenly, and every day in Paris is filled with photographs of wonderful streets on the Left Bank that will remain forever in my memory. My husband would go if only to have the ham and cheese on a baguette at our favorite luncheon brasserie, Les Deux Magots. Can’t rule out Hermes, L’Arc De Siene for furniture of the 1930’s and ’40’s and my favorite museum, Le Musee D’Orsay.
4. I adore David Geffen’s yacht, ‘Rising Sun.’ It is simply the best!
5. I love to visit Claude Lallane in her atelier just outside of Paris. To witness the beauty of her sculptures, and watch her working away even though she’s well into her eighties, delights and constantly inspires me.
For more on Carole Bayer Sager, check out her website.