1. A British-designed phone has just scooped a coveted international award – the Red Dot Award for Product Design 2014.
2. London-based design firm Curventa designed the Motorola IT.6, which at just 6mm is the world’s thinnest home cordless phone.
3. The Curventa and SGW team are set to receive the award at a glittering ceremony at the RedDotDesignMuseum in Essen, Germany, which will be attended by 1200 guests from around the world.
4. The Red Dot Product Design Award, which has been awarded since 1954, is only bestowed on the very best designs on the market and the IT.6 underwent a rigorous judging process conducted by a panel of 40 experts.
5. The phone was competing against nearly 5000 other products from across the world.
6. The IT.6 builds upon Motorola’s heritage of phones that combine beautiful design with the latest technology.
7. From the sleek aluminium exoskeleton to a handset that appears to float in a block of glass, every detail has been crafted and engineered to give a premium experience.
8.This combines with Bluetooth connectivity that enables all mobile calls to transfer to the IT.6 when in the home, as well as automatic smartphone contact synchronisation.
9. Malcolm Paton, Executive Director of SGW, which manufactures and distributes the new phone, is excited by the marriage of looks and functionality: “The specification for the IT.6 demanded the highest level of engineering skill and we aimed to create the world’s thinnest home phone, but also a true object of beauty – not only to look at but to hold and use,” he says.
10. Ian Murison, Director of Curventa, is delighted to have won the award: “The Red Dot Awards are the most prestigious in the design world, so to have won the Product Design category against incredibly stiff opposition is a dream come true for us,” he says.
The Motorola IT.6 cordless home phone is now available to buy at the following retailers:
El Corte Inglés : www.elcorteingles.es
Euronics group: www.euronics.it