We are all familiar with the terms: mob, mafia, mob boss and crime families. We have actually become acustomed to Hollywood glorifying both the violence and power that these leaders have in their circles. Today there are many different crime families in other countries but the American Mafia or La Cosa Nostra first appeared in the United States in the 1920s according to the FBI. With the surge of organized crime, prominent leaders or “bosses” of these syndicated societies arose with them. These men and families paved the way to the existing cartels today.
The first mafia bosses obtained infamous recognition, legends, and plenty of dirty money. Now it is no secret Al Capone obtained the most recognition and became a legend. They would run alcohol, prostitution and gambling rackets all in Chicago and Capone managed to take in over $100 Million dollars a year in his prime. However, Capone did not manage to get himself amongst the richest.
So Who Wad The Richest Mob Boss?
- Meyer Lanksy: Lansky of Murder Inc. a real billion-dollar mystery! Though his net worth is now assumed to be over 600 Million dollars, the FBI believed he left over $300 Million hidden, which has never been found.
- Joseph Kennedy: Kennedy…Yes, of thee Kennedy Family, had a said net worth published in 1954 by Fortune Magazine at $300 Million Dollars. In today standards would be in the upper billions. Kennedy started off selling legitimate liquor, however continued his business through out prohibition making friends with mobsters like Frank Costello.
- Carlos Lehder: Lehder of the Colombian Medellin Cartel comes in with a net worth of $2.7 Billion Dollars. With his own private island called “Norman’s Cay”, his empire was centered in the Bahamas. The island included a luxury yacht club, 100 plus private homes, and it’s personal airport. It’s assumed that Carlos was making about $1.5 Million per day, at his peak.
- Pablo Escobar: Escobar ran the Medellin Cartel, powering in at $25 Billion dollars. Centered out of Medellin, Columbia – Pablo was said to have built up the city to 2.5 million residents by running food programs, building parks and helping the community. Making Medellin the second largest city in Columbia. Escobar was also said to be so rich that he wrote off $1 Billion dollars a year to the rats that would eat his money in storage.
- Amado Carrillo Fuentes: Amado Carrillo Fuentes, head of the Mexican Juarez Cartel had an estimated $25 Billion dollars in 1997, and was believed to have more. He was known as “Lord Of The Skies” having his private fleet of 22 private jets.
Did you love the movie “The Godfather”? Who is your favorite mob boss today? Let us know below.